This simple recipe is a great way to use leftover chicken, and it takes less than a half hour to prep. Most of the protein is derived from the beans. It is especially good with cornbread.
Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried coriander
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock (or 1.5 cups stock and a 1/2 cup good Mexican beer)
- 2 cans of cannellini (white kidney) beans, undrained
- 1 cup (or more or less, depending on what you have around) of cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 can of chopped green chiles, undrained
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheese and sour cream or yogurt to garnish
- Cook onions in small amount of olive oil with a pinch of salt over medium heat until onions start to turn translucent
- Add dried spices, 1/2 tsp salt, a few grinds of pepper, and garlic, cook for about 2 more minutes – just heat the spices, don’t burn the garlic!
- Add stock, bring to a boil. Once the boil begins, you can add a little mexican beer if the spirit moves you.
- Reduce heat, then add chicken, chiles and beans.
- Simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Serve with garnishes.