I hate cooked carrots. They’re mushy and a little too sweet for my taste. This recipe, however, is one that my family loves and that I can tolerate. I think that the salt and nutmeg bring out the natural sweetness of the carrot without going overboard. The dish is extraordinarily simple to throw together, and it plays nicely with lots of different proteins. The leftovers save well for use in burritos and side dishes.
- Carrots, enough to feed the group you are serving, cut into pieces. Slices bug me, so we do sticks.
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch or two of kosher salt
- Place all ingredients in a sauce pan. Add enough water to cover carrots. Stir gently.
- Cook over medium-high heat until water comes to a boil, then reduce heat and cover the pot.
- Simmer until the carrots reach desired consistency. A fork should be able to pierce them with just a little resistance.
- Drain the water immediately to prevent overcooking. Serve warm.