We ran out of apple juice during smoothie night, just as I was about to make a blueberry and banana concoction. Creamy smoothies are not really my thing, so I didn’t want to reach for yogurt or milk. One of our favorite iced teas is Tazo’s Green Tea with Lotus Blossoms. Our pediatrician recommended it to us a couple of years ago – it is decaffeinated and packed with antioxidants. It is also delicious. I had some on hand, so my typical smoothie became a green tea smoothie. I added a touch of local honey to balance the flavors so that the sweetness of the juice wasn’t sorely missed. If you opt for using fresh blueberries without popping them into the freezer, you will need to use a handful of ice. However, this will water down the flavor – the best smoothies use at least one frozen fruit or vegetable.
Ingredients for two servings:
- 8 oz. of green tea with lotus blossoms, chilled
- 1 cup of blueberries, frozen
- 1 banana, cut into chunks
- 1 Tablespoon of local honey (or more, to taste)
- Place all ingredients into the blender.
- Blend on High setting until desired consistency is reached