Little Hippie made our side dish a few nights ago, and it was so much fun to watch. This is an asparagus recipe that can be made from start to finish by a kid – no knives, no fire. Now that she has made the recipe once, I am making a photo recipe card for her so that she can make them completely on her own next time. Here are the steps:
- Rinse the asparagus
- Snap off the stalks. Gently bend each stalk until it breaks at the natural breaking point. The thick, woody portion of the stalk should be discarded.
- Arrange the stalks in a microwave-safe baking dish.
- Add 1/4 cup water
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt
- Cover tightly and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Wait for the dish to cool enough to use potholders to remove from microwave (or ask a grown-up to help you)