A popular pumpkin bread recipe used an awful lot of sugar and oil for a homemade quick bread. I started experimenting with the flour, sugar, and fat, and this recipe is the keeper version for us.
Yield: 3 mini loaves
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (this is roughly the same amount you get from a can, if you are out of pumpkin)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 3 mini-loaf pans.
- Mix dry ingredients (except sugar) in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the wet ingredients and sugar until thoroughly mixed.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir gently just until the flour is incorporated – do not overmix.
- Pour into greased muffin or mini-loaf pans.
- Bake until done – start checking muffins at 40 minutes.