Last year, I tried a commercial peppermint bark that had a layer of dark chocolate underneath. It was the first time I have enjoyed peppermint bark, so I decided to give it a whirl on my own. After testing out a few different combinations and ratios, here’s our favorite version:
- 12 oz. good white chocolate (make sure it uses real cocoa butter – we usually use Trader Joe’s white chocolate chips)
- 10 oz. dark chocolate (we use the giant 1-lb. bars of Trader Joe’s chocolate, half “Dark” and half 72% Dark
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes (we love Bob’s candy canes)
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9×13″ pan with aluminum foil, smoothing out any wrinkles.
- Melt the dark chocolate using a double boiler. Pour into pan, then tip from side to side to evenly distribute chocolate.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Melt the white chocolate using a double boiler. Pour into pan, then use a spatula to gently spread across the dark chocolate layer. Try pouring the white chocolate into several different areas of the pan so there is less melting of the dark chocolate layer.
- Sprinkle the crushed candy canes evenly over the top.
- Gently press the candy into the top layer of white chocolate.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from pan, peel off foil, then cut into pieces. Store in the refrigerator for best results.