This is a cute idea for kids on Christmas Eve. We sprinkle the reindeer food on the lawn before going to bed. The sparkles (sugar crystals) make the yard easier for Santa to see from his sleigh, and the food is a nice treat for his reindeer while Santa makes his deliveries. It’s cheesy, but at least it’s not as creepy as the Elf on the Shelf.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tablespoon green sugar (make your own by putting sugar in a food storage bag with a few drops of food coloring, then squeezing and shaking until you get a uniform color)
- 2 Tablespoons red sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon kosher salt
- Stir all ingredients together.
- Place into cute bags if you are making these for gifts or party favors.
- There are lots of cutesy poems on the internet, if you are interested. Most have grammatical errors that grate on my nerves, so here’s the one I use:
“Some magic food for Santa’s deer
to help them on their flight
With special moondust sprinkled in
to shine throughout the night.”