This is a simple, hearty, and healthy dinner for a cold winter night. The recipe comes from Mark Bittman’s How To Cook Everything. He gives a lot of options within the recipe – below is the version with the vegetables and liquid that we used.
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 T. butter
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1/4 pound carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1/4 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into rounds (I parboiled ours for 10 minutes before slicing it, per a suggestion in another cookbook. I’m not sure it was necessary)
- 1/4 pound celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 1/2 pound new potatoes, cut in half
- 1.5 pounds cod fillets, cut into 10 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup white wine mixed with 1 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread 1 T. on the bottom of a roughly 8×12-inch baking dish or casserole. Sprinkle the minced garlic on it.
- Top with about half each of the carrots, parsnips, celery, potatoes, onion and fish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread another Tablespoon of the olive oil, then top with remaining vegetables and fish. Sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper.
- Pour the liquid over all, then dot with the Tablespoon of butter.
- Cover and bake until potatoes are cooked through, 45 minutes or so.