- 1 pound dried pinto beans, rinsed and separated.
- 5 strips of bacon, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (more if you like things spicy)
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Drain beans, then place all ingredients into a stock pot. Cover with 2 inches of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for about 4 hours. Add more water as necessary.
- Once the beans are soft (but not mushy), increase the heat in order to reduce the liquid to a thick broth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.