A special treat for you – a guest post, courtesy of my sister! Coming up with initials for her proved a little problematic. Hippie Sister (HS) could be mistaken for Hippie Son. I thought about Hippie Baby Sister (HBS), but we already hear a lot about “Hippie BS” from our Dad. Then, it occurred to me – my sister is not at all reluctant in her hippieness. She cloth diapers, she shops at a hippie co-op, and she lives in Madison, for the love of Pete. I’m pretty hippie for the suburbs of Chicago, but in Madison, I feel like Pat Buchanan. So for purposes of this blog, we will just call her The Actual Hippie.
The Actual Hippie received this cute baby gift for her daughter, and she loved it so much that she decided to try her hand at making them for a few friends who are having babies soon. It is simple, soft, and sweet!
- 1 package of Gerber cloth diapers, washed
- Spool of 7/8“ ribbon
- Embroidery thread in a coordinating color
- Embroidery needle
- Embroidery hoop.
- Sewing machine thread in coordinating color
- Sewing machine
- Wash and iron the diapers.
- Cut ribbon to the length of the diaper, adding 1/2“ for finishing
- Fold ribbon in half over the edges of the diaper, then stitch the ribbon to the diaper using a sewing machine. Turn the extra trim under at the ends to create a finished edge.
- Write initials (or make a cute design) in the middle.
- Attach embroidery hoop, then embroider your design.
- Wash and iron your finished gifts