Every time we have good spanish rice, I think, “How hard can this be? We should make this.” So we did. And it was delicious.
- 1 cup long grain rice (uncooked)
- 2 T. cooking oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup petite diced tomatoes (canned)
- 1/3 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 1/3 cup diced cooked carrot
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat oil and saute rice until lightly browned.
- Lower heat to medium-low, then add onion and salt. Saute until onion turns translucent.
- Add garlic, cook for another minute.
- Add water and cover, cooking until water is absorbed.
- Add stock, tomatoes, carrots, and peas. Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
Source: Adapted from http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Spanish-Rice-Recipezaar_49