We are low-hanging fruit for the Trader Joe’s Sample Lady. She knows that we are highly susceptible to whatever she is showcasing. Our trips there are less frequent now that we are cutting down on processed food, but we are still there every once in awhile. A few weeks ago, the Sample Siren sucked us in with this original recipe. This was the first real meal I cooked after my surgery, my first time doing real prep work in my kitchen after a 5-week absence. It felt great to be back, and our version of this recipe turned out pretty well. Bonus: it’s gluten-free.
- 18-oz. package (tube) of cooked polenta
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup salsa verde (I used Herdez)
- 1/2 can of chopped green chiles
- 8 oz. shredded cheese (I used mozzarella and cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice polenta into rounds that are about 1/2″ thick.
- Place the polenta rounds in a single layer in a round baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine the chicken, chiles, and half of the salsa.
- Spread the chicken mixture over the polenta.
- Top with remaining salsa and the cheese.
- Bake until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, about 35 minutes.