No photograph. Why? Because these are not attractive. At all. But they sure were delicious. This simple recipe comes from the Aurora Suzuki Violins 1989 cookbook (the fundraiser cookbooks are the best!), submitted by Jane Thorne-Gutierrez. This is a great veggie side dish for grilled meats – no need to heat up the kitchen! We made this alongside hamburgers. I highly recommend piling the grilled onions and peppers onto your burger, then spreading the roasted garlic on the bun.
- Leeks, halved lengthwise
- Sweet red pepper, in strips
- Green peppers, in strips
- Sweet potatoes, lenthwise strips
- Whole garlic, cut just top off and peel dry skin
- Red onion, halved
- Tomato, halved
- Olive oil
- Local honey
- Turn grill on high.
- Brush all veggies with olive oil and sprinkle with lemon pepper, then place on the grill; brush the other side with oil.
- Turn after they have grill marks (approximately 5 minutes).
- Brush with honey after 10 minutes.
- Heat through and place on platter. Garlic can be squeezed and spread on fresh warm bread.