The lettuce at the Farmer’s Market is so good right now! The Hippie Husband keeps buying tons of it, so we are making lots of great salads. The one pictured above is based on a salad suggestion from Jamie Oliver (strawberries, lettuce, dressing, and pan-fried cheese), but we used a dressing recipe from the Jackson Hole Cooks! cookbook. I had marked this page when I received the cookbook from my mom last year – Nicola Esdorn’s dressing recipe sounded delicious. We loved it – it was simple, sweet, and tangy.
- 2 limes, juiced and zested
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar (we used rice wine)
- 3 Tablespoons honey (use local – it tasted great, and it supports community business and bee colonies)
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon chives, chopped
- In a blender or food processor, combine lime juice, zest, mustard, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Pulse to blend ingredients.
- On a low speed setting, slowly add oil in a steady stream until vinaigrette emulsifies (when the oil and vinegar no longer separate when you stop spinning)
- Add the chives and pulse until they are evenly distributed.