This is a very easy side dish from the November 2012 issue of Food & Wine Magazine. It is hearty, healthy and even vegan! This is half of the original from the magazine, and it made at least 6 side-dish servings.
- 1.5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound leeks (just white and light green portions), sliced in half lengthwise and then thinly sliced.
- 1.25 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over low heat. Add leeks and a generous pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are softened (about 10-12 minutes).
- Add quinoa and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until dry (about 5 minutes).
- Add stock and water, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender (you will see the white rings on the grains).
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork. Taste and adjust seasoning.