These are so easy and delicious. I got the original recipe from “Jamie Oliver’s Meals In Minutes,” then made a few changes to turn it from a side dish into a one-pot entree. We are really enjoying this meal during the winter, as most of the ingredients are canned or frozen. It comes together very quickly and creates a hearty dish. The leftovers are terrific, too.
- 8 oz. bacon, finely diced
- 4 cans (16 oz. each) of large butter beans (check the labels – many brands add a lot of extra chemicals) (or cook your own beans).
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach (or 2 cups fresh)
- 1/4 cabbage, thinly sliced (you can shred it if you want to hide the presence of cabbage)
- Place a stockpot over medium-low heat, then add bacon. Cook until the bacon is golden.
- Drain most of the juice from the can of tomatoes, then add the tomatoes and beans to the pot. Stir together and increase heat to medium-high. Simmer to cook down the liquid, adding the spinach towards the end of cooking.
- Stir in the cabbage a few minutes before serving. Taste and add salt or pepper, if needed (this will depend on the bacon and how much salt is in your beans and tomatoes. We’ve been using Applegate Naturals bacon, and we’ve never needed to add seasoning).