I wanted a healthy, sweet snack for some friends who recently had a baby. Muffins filled with fruit and grains seemed like a good bet. There are a bunch of recipes online, so I combined and tweaked a few to create these.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 apples, cored and finely diced
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained (reserve the juice)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray. This recipe makes 18 muffins.
- In a small bowl, cover raisins, rolled oats, and coconut in a little pineapple juice while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Add a little water if you need more liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, flaxseed meal, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Drain the fruit and oats that were soaking in water, then add to the flour mixture, along with the carrots, apples, and pineapple.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the honey, egg, and applesauce until well combined.
- Pour the honey mix over the dry ingredients and gently stir until ingredients are just moistened.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin tins and bake about 25 minutes, until the tops spring back when pressed.