These are delicious. The fact that they are egg-free is just icing on the cake if you have someone with sensitivities. The process is quick and painless. The final product is tender and crumbly, with excellent flavor. Use good cocoa powder – we buy Omanhene products (check out their website to see why their product is good on so many levels).
Makes 30 cookies.
- 2 sticks of butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1.75 cups flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2.5 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Mix butter, sugar and vanilla together until smooth.
- Add flour, chocolate, salt, and espresso powder. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Break off 1-Tablespoon globs of dough and roll into a ball. Place balls onto parchment-lined baking sheets at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, until the tops are dry.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to cooling racks.
- After the cookies are completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) cool, dust them with powdered sugar.
Source: Adapted from Food & Wine Magazine’s Chocolate Espresso Snowballs.