I made this for my dad’s Christmas present two years ago, and I developed a small addiction to it. I don’t really enjoy milk, and I don’t really enjoy chocolate syrup. But when I make this syrup, I freaking LOVE chocolate milk. It’s also pretty damn good in coffee.
This is one of those recipes that really depends on the quality of the ingredients. Use excellent cocoa powder, and you will get excellent chocolate syrup. Use cheapy cocoa, you might as well go buy a bottle of off-brand Hershey’s. I have been using Omanhene cocoa powder because it’s delicious, the quality is excellent, and the company uses socially responsible business practices.
- 1.25 cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder (use really good cocoa powder. It makes a big difference)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Mix dry ingredients in a large saucepan, breaking up any clumps.
- Whisk in water and put on medium heat, stirring often until mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool for 5 minutes and stir in vanilla.
Source: Adapted from Annie’s Eats