So much mmmmmmmm . . . These are less sweet and more chocolatey than the ones we used to buy from the freezer section. If you are making these primarily for grown-ups, add a little more espresso powder for a mocha pop.
We made another batch of these using coconut milk. They were fine, but not as quickly inhaled by the hippie kids. So the recipe is vegan-able. We will stick with the dairy version, though.
Makes 8 popsicles
- 2.5 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine milk, sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and espresso powder in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often (use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom), until mixture thickens. Taste it to make sure that the amount of sugar works for you.
- Remove from heat, then stir in vanilla and coconut oil.
- Allow the mixture to cool a bit before pouring into popsicle molds and freezing.
You can also freeze in an ice cube. Put 4-5 ice cubes into a glass, pour some vodka over it, then mash it up a bit and enjoy a fudgesicle slushy cocktail.