In the late eighties, my mom’s side of the family did a Progressive Christmas Eve party. Each of the families who lived in the immediate area hosted one course and one activity, so we did appetizers at one house, soup at another, dinner at another, etc., ending at my grandparents’ house for dessert and presents. It was one of my favorite Christmases of all time. I can’t tell you exactly what we did at each house, but I remember having tons of fun.
The pictures will back me up on this.
We went from the usual family Christmas party pictures at the beginning of the night
Don’t be jealous of how hot I was as a pre-teen. Those bangs took a lot of attention. And hairspray.
When I polled the family about their recollections of that evening, we could agree that my Uncle John and Aunt Claire hosted the most fun activities. Aunt Claire was kind enough to go into the archives and share the games we played.
One of the games was a non-melodious “Name That Tune,” where we worked in teams to decode the names of popular Christmas songs from the synonymous clues we were given.
See whether you can crack these clues:
- Array the corridors
- Far off in a feeder
- Colorless Yuletide
- Red man en route to borough
- Righteous darkness
- Arrival time: 2400 hours. Weather conditions: cloudless
- Bantam male percussionist
- Monarchical triad
- Nocturnal noiselessness
- Singular yearning for the twin anterior incisors
- Jehovah deactivate blithe chevaliers
- Frozen precipitation, Commence!
- Advance, loyal followers
- Proceed and enlighten on the pinnacle
- The dozen festive 24-hour intervals
- Delight for this planet
- The Quadraped with the Vermillion Proboscis
- Castaneous-colored seed vesicated in a conflagration.
- Give attention to the melodious celestial beings.
- Query regarding the identity of descendant
- Deck the Halls
- Away in a Manger
- White Christmas
- Here Comes Santa Claus
- O Holy Night
- It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
- Little Drummer Boy
- We Three Kings
- Silent Night
- All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
- Let It Snow!
- O Come All Ye Faithful
- Go Tell It On The Mountain
- The 12 Days of Christmas
- Joy To the World
- Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
- Chestnuts Rosting On An Open Fire
- Hark, The Herald Angels Sing
- What Child Is This?
You can download the Printable version below, then print and distribute to individual contestants of teams. Set a time limit, and the team with the best record wins a prize – candy, gift cards, being served first at dinner, bragging rights, or NOT having to take a turn sitting next to Crazy Uncle Gary during the evening.