Easiest. Dessert. Ever.
I stumbled across this recipe in a Cookies & Candy cookbook published by the Holy Angels St. Anne’s Society in 2013. The recipe was submitted by Wanda Garcia. It requires less than 5 minutes of prep work, 22 minutes in the oven, and enough time to cool the bars enough to cut them. I already had all of the ingredients on hand because shredded coconut seems to last forever.
We tested this recipe at a 4th of July party because I wanted to make something for our friends with gluten sensitivities. Ghirardelli mini semi-sweet baking chips are not specifically labelled gluten-free, but all of the information I can find on them states that they are GF. And those chips made these bars DELICIOUS.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9×9 pan (we used coconut oil. Worked perfectly)
- Whisk the eggs with vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Stir in chocolate chips and coconut until mixed thoroughly.
- Pour into the prepared pan, press it flat with a spatula or spoon.
- Bake 22 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool, then cut into squares.
Yield: 16 squares.
Source: “Cookies & Candy.” St. Anne’s Society, Holy Angels Church, Aurora, IL. 2013.