This hearty soup was the perfect response to the cold snap that we started this week! This recipe makes a ton of soup, and it froze beautifully – we thawed and ate the second half for a quick dinner tonight.
- 1 pound italian sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 carrots, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 14 oz. pureed tomatoes
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- 1/2 package of frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Brown the sausage in a large stock pot, breaking into small crumbles. Drain the fat, leaving a little to cook the vegetables.
- Add carrots with a pinch of salt, then cook for 2 minutes
- Add onions and cook until the onions turn translucent, then throw in the garlic and cook for an additional minute or two.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring almost to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.