Or, if you liked the prequels, you could slide one of these costumes onto a bottle of Tanqueray and call it Qui-Gon Gin.
- A 9″x12″ sheet of light brown felt
- A large sheet of dark brown felt (you can get a 36″ x 36″ package at most craft stores, or buy half a yard at a fabric store)
- A small glow stick (I used a glow bracelet)
- Brown cord or yarn for the belt
- Hot glue gun
- Needle and dark thread
- Bottle of wine
How To Make the Cape
- Cut two rectangles of dark brown felt in the following dimensions: 20″ x 10″, 11″ x 4″
- The smaller rectangle will form the hood. Fold it in half.
- Sew (or hot glue) along one of the long sides
- Flip that corner inside out to hide the seam
- The cape is made from the larger piece of dark brown felt.
- Using dark thread, run a loose straight stitch along one of the long sides. Pull the thread to bunch up the felt (like a curtain) until the top is just a little narrower than the open part of the hood. Tie off the thread.
- Sew (or glue) the hood to the cape so that the hood covers the gathered/bunched up part of the cape.
How To Make the Shirt
- Cut a 2.5″ strip (lengthwise) of the light brown felt.
- Wrap the larger piece around the bottle to create a v-neck. Pin in a few spots so that you can remove the felt from the bottle without losing the shape.
- Slide the pinned felt off of the bottle.
- Take a small scrap of dark brown felt and hold it on the front of the bottle.
- Slide the pinned piece of light brown fabric over the top and arrange the dark felt to look like an undershirt. Pin into place.
- Remove the whole assembly and use a hot glue gun to secure all of the pieces together. It will look like this:
- Slide the whole thing back onto the bottle.
- Use the thin strip of light brown felt to wrap around the “waist” and pin into place. Tack down the strip of felt with hot glue – a dot in the middle, and then at the two ends (you need to leave large parts of this unglued so that you can tuck the lightsaber into the folds).
- Throw the shirt back onto the bottle.
- Tie the belt around the middle and pop the glow stick into the folds of the shirt so that it sticks out like a lightsaber.
- Arrange the cape with the hood over the neck of the wine bottle.
Voila! Obi Wine Kenobi.